Hector Gancedo, founding and managing partner of Gancedo Law Firm, Inc. and Gancedo & Nieves LLP, has been a civil trial attorney for over 25 years, and has represented defendants and plaintiffs in a wide variety of legal matters. Mr. Gancedo has particular expertise in trying and resolving litigation matters in federal and state court involving personal injury, pharmaceutical product liability, and consumer claims. In addition to representing plaintiffs in individual matters, Mr. Gancedo has considerable experience representing plaintiffs in complex litigation including pharmaceutical mass torts and class actions.
In the area of mass torts, Mr. Gancedo has successfully represented thousands of individuals harmed by pharmaceutical products, defective medical devices, and toxic waste. He has been recognized by his peers and named to numerous plaintiff committees in multiple mass tort litigations including executive, expert, discovery and class committees. Some of these mass tort litigations have resulted in settlements among the largest in history.
Mr. Gancedo has represented classes in class action litigation as lead counsel, class counsel, or local counsel in numerous state and nationwide class actions. These class actions include claims for unpaid overtime wages, injuries from toxic torts, reimbursement for fraud against consumers, shareholder losses, funeral mishandling, antitrust violations, and banking malfeasance.
In personal injury litigation, Mr. Gancedo represents injured victims against all types of tortfeasors. He has particularly distinguished himself as a champion for the cause of injured motorcycle riders. He has represented innumerable victims of motorcycle accidents and understands from experience the particular demands and intricacies of motorcycle litigation.
Mr. Gancedo has served as a member of the Board of Directors of OBA, Inc. (Outward Bound Adventures), and as President of the Tigers Soccer Club. He is fluent in Spanish.
• Obtained a multi-million dollar recovery for claimants in the Vioxx pharmaceutical mass tort.
• Represented claimants in the Bextra/Celebrex pharmaceutical mass tort and obtained a multi-million dollar recovery.
• Achieved a multi-million dollar settlement for claimants in the Rezulin pharmaceutical mass tort.
• Obtained a multi-million dollar recovery for claimants in the Baycol pharmaceutical mass tort.
• Represented claimants in the Fen-Phen diet drug litigation and achieved a multi-million dollar recovery for those claimants.
• Served as counsel for the class in the Pilot Overtime Litigation resulting in a multi-million dollar resolution for members of the class.
• Served as counsel for the class in the Palm handheld class action litigation which resulted in repair to the products of class members.
• Served as counsel for the class in the CSAA Overtime Litigation resulting in a multi-million dollar resolution for members of the class.
• Served as counsel for the class in the Woodlawn Memorial Park Litigation which resulted in a multi-million dollar resolution for the class.
• Successfully represented members of the Class in a Class action against Brooks Brothers for deceptive practices at their outlet stores.
• Obtained recovery for members of a class against Bank of America for deceptive fees at their ATMs.
• Successfully certified a toxic tort class action against Boeing, and achieved a multi-million dollar resolution for individuals who suffered personal injury as a result of toxic exposure.
Pharmaceutical and Environmental Mass Tort
Consumer Class Action
University of Southern California (J.D., 1985, Merit Scholar Award)
University of California, Santa Cruz (M.S. Economics, 1982; B.A. Economics, 1980)
Admitted to Practice
State of California
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court – Central, Northern, Eastern Districts